Friday, September 23, 2011

Stuffed Acorn Squash

Almost everything I know about cooking, I learned from my mama....she is uh-mazing.
And almost everything I cook for my own little family these days comes from recipes that have been passed along from my family. 

Including this recipe. It is pure fall yumminess!
Every October, my Mom would make Stuffed Acorn Squash for my sister Colleen's birthday.
She loved it. We all loved it!


Take the acorn squash and trim off a small part of the end so that they sit flat. 
If you microwave the sqaush(es) for a couple minutes, they will be much easier to cut!!
After trimming the ends, cut each squash in half horizontally (not stem to bottom).


Scoop out the seeds and gooey stringy-ness from inside the squash. 
Place cut-side down in a baking pan with a little water in the bottom. (The steam will help the squash bake!)
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for around 30 minutes, or until the squash has significantly softened.


Flip the squash over, and stuff....
Stuffing: 1 lb pork sausage
1 1/2 cups cooked white or brown rice
1-2 small apples, chopped
(This is enough to make 4 halves...increase amounts according to the number of squash you're stuffing.)


Bake stuffed squash for another 35-40 minutes, or until stuffing is cooked through and browned on top.
Cover each squash with shredded cheddar cheese and bake for 5ish more minutes.


Prepare your tummy for the wow factor....you're about to be blown away**

My mom used to make cheese casserole bread to go with this....but since that takes rising yeast, I just made some quick biscuits instead. (Another yummy recipe from my mom!)


Eating this makes me miss my sister!! But it makes me SO thankful for the family memories we all have....usually around a fabulous home cooked meal at a table full of kids. 

Now it's your turn!!
No lengthy rules...just link up something food related. Please, please grab the 
Good Lookin, Good Cookin Button from my sidebar 
and include it in your blog post!

4 comments:

Ashley Romney said...

Wow I have never tried squash but now I might just have to! Great post! I found your blog from the shine project!

The Olive Tree Blog said...

That looks so good!! We are cheese lovers in my house ;)

Lori said...

this looks absolutely amazing :) thanks for sharing!

http://www.penelopeblue.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

This looks so so good, I have to make this!!!