Cooking dinner when Josh and I were first married was such an adventure! I love, love to cook and love to bake even more. Looking back it seems like I put alot more effort into preparing meals than I do nowadays.
So I'm always trying to find quick and simple dinner ideas....if they cook in a crockpot - even better!
I still like to experiment in the kitchen, and this recipe is one that I've come up with in the last month. Josh loves it, Blake eats it, and I can make it super fast, so
it's a keeper!
If you try it out, I'd love to hear what you think!
~Potpie Biscuit Bowls~
Here's what you'll need...
1 pound ground beef or turkey
2 cans ready-to-bake biscuit dough (not the small size!)
1 bag frozen mixed veggies
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
2-3 Tbsp. butter or margarine
2 Tbsp. flour
*Makes approximately 12 biscuit bowls*
1. First spray your muffin tin(s) with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Start cooking the ground beef or turkey in a 10" skillet over medium heat. Add in chopped garlic and 1 Tbsp. butter.
3. While meat is cooking, stretch out the individual biscuit dough rounds to approximately 4" and gently press them into the muffin tin cups. Mae sure the dough comes up the sides and over the top!
4. Once your meat is mostly done cooking, add in the frozen veggies and continue cooking until veggies are warmed through.
5. Push meat and veggies off to one side of skillet, and melt remaining butter in the "open spot" left in the skillet. Once butter is melted, gently whisk in the flour...then stir all together to thicken the meat mixture. (You could also easily use beef gravy at this point, rather than the butter & flour.)
6. Let meat mixture cool slightly, then fill your biscuit bowls! Make sure the dough stays stretched up over the top...you may have to adjust it as you fill the cups with meat and veggies.
7. Bake for 20 minutes or until biscuits or golden brown on top. You can also add shredded cheddar cheese to the tops during the last 5 minutes of baking...it makes em even yummier!! (Have I mentioned we *heart* cheese around here!)
If you have leftover meat, you can pop it in a ziploc bag and toss it in the freezer for the next time!
I usually serve these up with a tossed salad and fruit...so simple and super yummy!